When people talk about Raspberry Pi, they usually think of a small credit card computer: it has various I/O ports and can be used instead of a PC for most typical applications, including document writing, browsing the Web, and writing programs. However, it turns out that there is no computer named Raspberry Pi! Raspberry Pi refers to a series of computers produced by the Raspberry Pi Foundation.
So, if you have decided to design and build a Raspberry Pi project, but you are not sure which Pi is right for you. There are many different types of raspberry pie, it's absolutely critical that you get the right one in the project that you need it for, so when you do a new project the first thing that you're going to need to do is actually listing out your requirements. the typical kind of requirements you can expect and any electronics project usually come down to
- Size and weight
Luckily for you, we’ll look at different Pi models on the market, and see which Pi is unique in its own way and suitable for you.
Model A:1 USB, no wired network interface, 2.5W power, 500mA, 256MB RAM (almost not seen).
Model B:2 USB, cable network support, 3.5W power, 700mA, 512MB ram, 26 GPIO, there are many on the market:
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B: A 900 MHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 processor and 1 GiB RAM
Raspberry pi 3 Model B: A Broadcom BCM2837 SoC with a 1.2 GHz 64-bit quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 processor, with 512 KiB shared L2 cache
Raspberry Pi 4 Model B: A 1.5 GHz 64-bit quad core ARM Cortex-A72 processor, on-board 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5, full gigabit Ethernet (throughput not limited), two USB 2.0 ports, two USB 3.0 ports, and dual-monitor support via a pair of micro HDMI (HDMI Type D) ports for up to 4K resolution.
Model B + :4 USB ports, cable network support, power consumption 1W, 512M ram, 40 GPIO (new in 2014, recommended)
Raspberry pi 3 Model B +: A Broadcom BCM2837 SoC with a 1.4 GHz 64-bit quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 processor, with 512 KiB shared L2 cache.
Raspberry Pi Zero and Zero W: A Broadcom BCM2835 SoC as the first generation Raspberry Pi, although now running at 1 GHz CPU clock speed.
And here are a few specific Raspberry Pi use cases and our recommendation for each.
If you would like build a DIY robotic car or drone, you can probably keep away with a Pi Zero W / WH (wireless is required to control the robot) that has GPIO pins attached. And you can send the car or around the your house. While you had better get a Raspberry Pi 4 B with 2 or 4GB if you want to add a bunch of sensors or any kind of machine learning to the project.
If you want to do machine learning or image recognition , we recommend you to use the Raspberry Pi 4 B 8GBcapacity model,which is really a best kits comparing to other models.
If you want to give somebody a Raspberry Pi as a gift, please remember that If your giftee isn’t so familiar with Raspberry P, if he or she is just a newbie, your best bet is to get them a raspberry pi kit that comes with both the board itself and several accessories, including a power supply, an HDMI cable for video out and a protective case.
If money is not such an effect, we recommend one of the best raspberry pi kit - the LABISTS Official Raspberry Pi 4 (4GB) desktop kit. Just $99.97, you get the board and all of the official accessories, including the case, fans, Heatsinks, SD card reader and power supply.
So if you a computer to learn Linux and simple programming, or use it to build some fun devices, then it's more appropriate to be used:
. A personal website, set up in your own home, put some fun things, it is also quite interesting, update it does not need FTP, just copy it directly. By the way, a family photo album was built on the server, which is very fast due to the local area network.
- A Git server to store part of your own code, such as some code that you don’t want to put on github, you can put it here.
- A BT download machine (transmission), which can be operated remotely and download anytime, anywhere.
- Home NAS, put all documents, movies, music, and photos here, share them, all devices at home (mobile phones, tablets, TV boxes, computers) can be accessed at will, no longer have to worry about iPhone, iPad There is not enough space, you can watch online movies at any time.
- An AirPlay service, which can wirelessly broadcast music from Apple devices to the speakers on the Raspberry Pi, using ShairPort.
- A private cloud service own Cloud can be used anywhere, including using mobile phones, uploading and downloading files, synchronizing calendars, etc. This service is relatively slow, which is the only reason I have to buy the new version of Pi.
- An alarm clock that will tell the time on the hour (the first time in the morning is a recording of calling everyone to get up), set with Cronjob, and report the current temperature, AQI, and PM2.5 index by the way. Google's translation engine was originally used Online translation, and then Google Translate is hung up, just download the translated audio file and use it.
- Using Cronjob to play different nursery rhymes at different times of the week and every day to listen to the children at home, and they will involuntarily follow along.
- A voice mail, sending mail to a designated mailbox, the content of the email will be converted into voice, played from the raspberry pie speaker.
- A twitter robot sends local weather information to twitter regularly every day.
- Network radio, not much use, because can not find a good broadcast stream address.
- An e-mail synchronizer synchronizes my frequently used email to the local, using offline IMAP, and then sending and receiving with mutt.
- Automatically upload video files to disk. If I use iPhone or Xiaomi Sports Camera to shoot videos, I just drag it to a directory in NAS, and the script will automatically rename these videos, change the file name to date and time, so as to facilitate future search, and then automatically upload them to cloud, and automatically classify them by date
- A network springboard, I can remotely operate the home computer, as long as the home computer motherboard supports Wake-On-LAN. This is the same as the previous functions. You need to have a public IP address on your broadband. After logging in to raspberry pie, execute the command to activate other computers.
- A website resource Downloader, such as articles, pictures. You can write some scripts to analyze the websites and forums you often go to, and automatically download pictures: cars, landscapes, humanities, beauties, etc. With SQLite, save MD5 file, small file, duplicate file automatically deleted. In the program, set the user agent as a well-known browser, such as chrome, ie, etc., otherwise it may be refused to download